Where I am at, Part 2

5thJune: My morning is restless, waiting to leave Wildebeest, I had my normal fruit breakfast and more food is waiting, but I don’t want to suppress the feeling within me, one of turmoil flowing through me at what I have to face.

Charlie took to the Matota rank for Narok in the CBD, as I waited a guy from a rival company tried to get me to go in his vehicle, but I was being looked after very well by the guy Charlie left me with so I told him this and that he was my brother and was cheaper than him anyway. They both laughed and said same mother different father, they didn’t seem to understand that we had the same father as well. At one stage they took my bags up the street to another vehicle and I lost sight of one of them, but we ended up going back the place where we started and I boarded a Matota less one bag. There was so much commotion going on, people getting on and off the van, arguments about fares, venders trying to sell everybody on the Matota’s fruit, food, drinks, watches ,CD’s, you name it, it was offered;  vehicles, trucks, handcarts and bus lines all in this narrow road, it’s a wonder anything moves, but it does. My bag turned up and the last of the Matota was filled with Maasai women in their native costumes and we slowly weaved our way out of the old part of the city.

 I think I spent longer in Nairobi than the two and half hour trip to Narok and on arrival checked into the Seasons Hotel. I took a walk around the town and found a hardware shop that could provide most of the tools I wanted, wheelbarrow, spade, hoe, machete, crowbar and spade. They were going to try and find a ute and driver to take me and my stuff to the Maasai Mara and would let me know tomorrow. I bought some fruit and walked back to the hotel, had something to eat and watched the Solomon discussion again. Thank you Yeshua and Mary.

6thJune: I awoke in a better space, much clearer and more comfortable with myself.  After a fruit breakfast (hooray) I walked into town and checked the availability of transport from my new friend in the hardware shop, no luck, but he would keep trying. I walked around the town until I found a supermarket and checked to see if they had what I wanted for the week. The prices are much cheaper here than in Nairobi. I had thought about buying a bike to get around on when on the Mara in Nairobi, but it was the problem of getting it here, when I checked the price here it was half, only $70 for an umpteen speed gear thing, etc, so I am tempted, I am wearing out my Crooks and Muck Books with all this walking.

As I waited for Haryson many street sellers approached asking me to buy stuff, I always refused in the best Swahili I could remember, which made them laugh and after a chat we always parted on good terms, in fact I bumped in several of them again during the day and they were always friendly, but not trying to sell me stuff. I even got offered wacky baccy, maybe it is the way I look.

Haryson arrived and we went looking for sweet (sugar) bananas, but there weren’t any locally, it was a nice change to go around the back streets where I hadn’t ventured and made some new friends along the way. We got a taxi and drove for 40 mins south into the eastern part of the Mara to his home where I met his ni ni (Maasai for mum), his brother and sister in law. We had a quick visit with his mum in her house which was much the same as Justus’s mum home, but Haryson didn’t want to stay as it was very smokey.

We went to Lillian’s home where she made a lunch for us of chapatti, rice and potatoes, there goes my uncooked status, but this was different and I didn’t feel it was out of addiction. They just gave and included the taxi driver, who was waiting to take us back to town, something that I usually noticed didn’t happen.

This home was bigger than the others, with a tin roof with plenty of light; the sitting room we were in was about 4 x 4mtrs in size. There was two, two seater settee’s, a coffee table and sideboard with glass doors that had mugs and plates behind them, a water barrel and three rolled up roofing iron sheets.  On one wall were two posters, one listing God’s way of government, so different from man’s and one listing layman’s (Haryson’s interpretation) words in Maasai and Swahili of different verses of the bible and a few bouquets from a wedding hanging from the ceiling baton. That was it, and the dirt floor that was so clean; they were so proud of their home and enjoyed my short visit, inviting me to return at anytime which felt was so genuine, unlike many others I have received in the past.

After returning to Narok we organised transport to the Maasai Mara and confirmed at the hardware about my tools. I was ready to go and will leave in the morning on the next stage of this ever changing journey.

Thank you Luli, Mary, Karen and Michael, your love is awesome and has been felt deeply.


God is Good

Haryson and his Ni Ni

Haryson and his Ni Ni

Lillian and Namunyak

Lillian and Namunyak



One thought on “Where I am at, Part 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s